Mousetrap Car Contest!
Build the fastest mousetrap-powered car,
and make it race as far as possible.
- Each team must have 2 members.
- The sole source of energy will be the energy stored in the spring of a mousetrap.
- Mousetraps will be provided by the teacher.
- The car must have at least 2 wheels, but you may not use any type of prefabricated wheels, or bearings.
- The track will be 5m long (6m for honors), and 1m wide.
- Each team gets 2 runs. Only the better run will be graded and recorded.
- The car must be designed so that when the timer says “go”, you JUST LET GO of it.
- Time starts when the car crosses the “start” line.
- Time will be measured at the crossing of the finish line.
- Time stops when the car stops, even if it does not cross the finish line.
- Start with 60 points. (40 points will be for the worksheet afterward)
- Minus 1 point for every 10cm short of the finish line.
- Minus 5 if you go off the track.
- Plus 1 point for every meter that the car goes past the finish line.
- Plus 5 bonus points for the fastest time across the finish line.
The best projects use everyday items, and cost you ZERO money.
Your Team Name ________________________________