Trimblean 21:26, 20 October 2007 (UTC)
- Life thru Neptune's Moons!
- "Hi and welcome aboard, I am Captain Cucumber. As you are boarding aircraft SR 2008 I will inform you of a few safety precautions you should consider before we take flight to a wonderful and unique moon. Please make sure to tighten your seeat belts for we will be traveling at a speed faster than light. Now that everyone is seated we will begin our countdown."
- (short pause, buttons being pushed, horn sounds)
- "......5,4,3,2,1 BLASTOFF!!"
- "And now we have made an offical take off to the wonderful moon who has a retrograde orbit, Triton. Although triton has 12 brothers and sisters, it is the only one big enough to see. So, while on our journey i will be explaining many attractions, so just sit back relax and enjoy your cookies."
- (flying through space at warp speed)
- "If you look to your left you will see another one of Neptune's moons Proteus. Proteus is the second largest moon, with Triton being the biggest of course, hahaha uhmm, never mind. Triton is way bigger than Proteus. . ."
- (everyone just looks and stares)
- " Umm, so umm, anyway they say that Proteus has these huge and giant craters that eat all the spacecraft that fly to close, what do you think, let's try it!"
- (Screams shutter throughout the aircraft)
- "Mwahahah, I'm just kidding you silly gooses. But Proteus does have giant craters all over it in which cause the shape of it to look irregular."
- (all sigh)
- "Now if you would look to your right there is Nereid. Nereid is the third largest moon to Neptune and look at how small it looks from here and were only 800,000 miles from it. You know why it looks so small......me either.
- (everyone signs and puts on mad faces, obviously they dont like my humor)
- "Hahaha, just joshin with ya....again...its because it is the outermost moon from Neptune. Wow!! Nereid's orbit also looks like an egg. . . Do you guys see that huge rock....it looks like its coming right at us! Ha, that would suck if, haha ya know it just kinda uhh... nahhh that couldn't happen?!!? Or, umm well I think its coming right for us!"
- "Everyone hang on tight"
- (spacecraft swerves, passengers scream)
- "WOW! That was close, we just missed that one! Did you guys feel the wind, hahaha, gosh! do you guys ever laugh?"
- (hmm, do I have dry humor??)
- "Anywho, lets continue our journey to.....to...ummm where were we going again? Ooo yea that weird moon that like spin ins the opposite direction..ummm Triton. So now that we have almost experienced death we are now off to Triton. Let me remind you that the axis of triton is highly inclined. So you could possible be standing side ways, and you wont even know it. Once we get there in 32.9 seconds, I will explain more to you. So every one fasten your seat belts and make sure you have on a big jacket we are now preparing for landing."
- (boom, boom, eeeeek, slowing of the engine, swooooshhhhhhhh)
- " Now if you would all exit thhhheee aaaiirrrccraft ssafffetttly, burrrrr iitts rr--r-rreally cold out here. The temperature out here has been known to be -235F. That would explain the creature laying on the ground shaking like a re..... umm...that would be called frost bite. So everyone make sure you are safetly covered up. Now as we walk through the rocky land of Triton I would like you to notice the volcanoes, OMG!! VOLCANOES, just kidding, and the huge cracks in the surface, Dont fall....awww...crrap Dont FALL through one of these things I was gonna say before someone fell through one of these things. Well look at it this way 1 down 29 to go."
- (BLUP. BLUP. BLUP. GURGLE. GURGLE.)
- "OOO NO, everyone run erupting volcano, AND REMEMBER DON'T FALL THROUGH A CRACK!
- (Volcano errupts and lava pours but because of the extremely cold atmosphere the lava freezes immediately.)
- "Yay! Everyone is safe and sound. Now as I continue my journey you will notice how close Triton is becoming to Neptune thats because it is slowly spiraling in towards Neptune. So, now that you have ENJOYED the journey through Neptune and its moons, if you look to your right, there is a Kuiper Belt object, new vocabulary there, heading right for us....RUNN!"
- (everyone FINALLY laughs but guess what)
- "I'M NOT JOKING, RUNNNNN!!!"
- (spaceships swerves around and everyone is screaming for the next half minute)
- "Ok! Sorry!! Anyway, why don't we go take a closer look at moons even closer to Neptune than that Proteus! What do you think? There is less Kuiper Belt objects doing nothing there.
- (Everyone sighs and says "Ok.")
- Ok, so we just passed Proteus, which is back there. That small moon just ahead of us is Larissa, let's not land on that and get sucked into Neptune, Ok? We don't want our spaceship to go away. Anyway, is takes half an earth day for Larissa to orbit. And, now we will head on to the other inner moons!
- (Everyone groans)
Trimblean 21:26, 20 October 2007 (UTC)
6 days to go around Neptune? wow. Retrograde motion? Is that important?
Be sure to look up and understand the significance of "synchronized orbits". It would be VERY important to your lifeforms.
- Leesonma 02:20, 14 September 2007 (UTC)
- Neptune is the eighth plant from the sun in the solar system.
- It has a very hazy atmosphere and very strong winds.
- 3.88 times the earths size.
- Fourth largest planet in our solar system.
Mass and Gravity
- 1.02 x 10_56 kg
- 17 x the mass of earth
- Neptune's Gravity is only about 1.19 x earth's gravity
- This is because the planet is so large and the gravitational
- force a planet exerts upon an object at the planet's surface is
- proportional to its mass and the inverse of its radius squared.
- FACT: A 100 pound person would weight 119 pounds on Neptune.
- FACT: One day on Neptune is 19.1 hours on Earth.
- FACT: It takes almost 165 Earth years for Neptune to orbit the sun once.
- 3 main moons: Nereid, Proteus, and Triton and 5 small moons.
- Triton and Proteus orbit close to Neptune while Nereid is more on its own, in a distant orbit.
- Naiad- 48,230 km from the center of Neptune. It was discovered by NASA's Voyager 2, 1989. It's diameter is 58 km, and its orbital period is 0.29 earth days
- Thalassa- 50,070 km from the center of Neptune. It was discovered by NASA's Voyager 2, 1989. It's diameter is 80 km, and it's orbital period is .30 earth days.
- Despina- 52,530 km from the center of Neptune. It was discovered by NASA's Voyager 2, 1989. It's diameter is 148 km, and its orbital period is .33 earth days.
- Galatea- 61,950 km from the center of Neptune. It was discovered by NASA's Voyager 2, 1989. It's diameter is 158 km, and its orbital period is .43 earth days.
- Larissa- 73,550 km from the center of Neptune. It was discovered by NASA's Voyager 2, 1989. It's diameter is 104 x 89 km, and it orbital period is .5 earth days.
- Proteus-117,650 km from the center of Neptune. It was discovered by NASA's Voyager 2, 1989. It's diameter is 218 x 208 x 201 km, and it orbital period is 1.1 earth days.
- Triton-354,760 km from the center of Neptune. It was discovered by Wm. Lassell,1846. Its diameter is 2,704 km, and it orbital period is synchronous.
- Nereid-5,513,400 km from the center of Neptune. It was discovered by G. Kuiper,1949. It's diameter is 340 km, and its orbital period is 360.1 earth days.
3 main moons con't...
- Proteus- This moon is the second largest moon of Neptune. It is very dark and has an irregular shape. It has a circular orbit and is placed just over the cloud-top of Neptune. It is close to Neptune and wasn't discovered at the same time Triton and Nereid.
- Triton- This is the largest of the 8 moons. It has a highly inclined axis and is the coldest object in the solar system. Its temperature is said to be -235C or -391F. It is very rocky and has polar ice caps. On it surface is contains volcanos, huge cracks and craters, and geysers of Nitrogen. Its atmosphere is very thin and hazy and made up of mostly nitrogen. It has a very windy surface covered in nitrogen ice. It is said that Triton is slowly spiraling in towards Neptune.
- Nereid- It is the outermost moon than any of the other moons. It is the third largest moon and has a very irregular shape. Nereid has the most eccentric orbit in the solar system. Its elliptical orbit has Nereid going as close as 867,000 miles to neptune and as far away as 6 million miles. Although, it may be a captured kuiper belt object. It takes almost 1 earth year to orbit Neptune (360.1 days).
Trimblean 04:09, 16 September 2007 (UTC)
- Just when you thought that Saturn was the only planet that had rings, think again. Neptune does have rings. I too was in shock when reading about this. Yes, Neptune does have rings, but they are not like Saturn rings. Saturn rings are made of ice, which reflects lots light and thats is why we are able to see them. On the other hand, Neptune has rings that are make of rock and dirt that does not reflect much light. That is why we are not able to see it.
Neptunes first four of 13 moons, Naiad, Thalassa, Despina, and Galatea are so close to Neptune, that they orbit withing the planets rings. Although, little is known about these moons.
On the topic of moons, the largest moon of Neptune is Triton. the diameter of this moon is 2,706.8 km (in other works BIG). Triton is basically one big ball of ice. It has geysers just like the ones we know at Yellowstone Park. But instead of shooting boiling water, Tritons geysers shoot out ice 8km(5 miles) high into its thin atmosphere.